Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Teen Tuesdays - Confessions of Georgia Nicolson By Louise Rennison - THE BOOKS

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 1)

A couple of months ago, I was looking through some stacks of books I had bought a few years ago, and just never had time to read. I found the novels Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, and, Further Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison. I had bought them some time ago, so I didn't really remember even picking them out. But, a book's a book, and I must have been interested in them at some point so I figured I'd give them a shot.

The first book actually contained two novels, Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging, and On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God. The story is based on the diary of a teenage girl named Georgia Nicolson. She is quite the character. After struggling to read the first couple of chapters, due to not being used to the flow of a book being written in diary format, I found Georgia to be quite charming. I was hooked. This is the type of book that keeps you entertained, and I often found myself chuckling out loud at the craziness of being a teenaged girl.

I quickly finished the first two books, and moved on to the next. The next book also contained two novels, Knocked Out by my Nunga-Nungas, and Dancing in my Nuddy Pants. Judging by the titles, Rennison did not want her books read by adults in public. I  was under the impression that the series only contained four books, but I was definitely mistaken. Soon, it became a quest to find all of the titles at my local book store since the books are not yet offered on Kindle.

The other books in the series are titled as follows:
Away Laughing on a Fast Camel
Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers
Startled By His Furry Shorts
Love Is a Many Trousered Thing
Stop In The Name Of Pants
Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?

The above are the North American Titles, or as Georgia would say "the Hamburger-A-Go-Go titles".

The books have to be read in order, as the story ends abruptly at the end of each book and continues into the next novel.

The basic plot line showcases how Georgia deals with the day to day life of being a teenager. She is a bit of a rebel, and has a terrific sense of humour that is under-appreciated. She lives in England, and her life revolves around her friends, her cat, and boys. She discovers the joys and let-downs of being in a relationship, and gets herself into situations that don't at all seem possible.

Once you get past the challenge of reading a book that is written in diary form, the books are delightfully full of surprises and make you want to continue reading to see what other kinds of trouble Georgia can get herself into. 

One nice thing that Rennison included in the novels is a glossary of terms at the end of each book. Georgia and her "ace gang" (friends) speak using a lot of British slang, and I admit to looking a couple of terms up in the back of the book that I did not know before. 

Overall, I can see how a teenage girl, or even an adult, would enjoy this series. Rennison's writing, while crude, is hilarious and deserves to be noticed. Reader be warned, if I were picking this book up for a child, I would probably make sure that they were in their upper teens, as I found these books to be a bit suggestive. But all in all, a light read, great for an adult looking to relive their teenage years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment