Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane - THE BOOK

Shutter Island (1st)

I've just finished reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I'll admit this was not one of my typical choices of books. I'm not really into the dark, mystery genre, but after seeing the trailers for the film, and finding out that it was originally a book, I really wanted to read it first before seeing the movie.

I read several reviews online saying the book was way better than the movie. Well, without seeing the movie, I'd have to say the movie has a lot to live up to. 

I've never read anything by Lehane before, but I have to say I throughly enjoyed his writing. He has a wonderful way of describing every detail that makes you really be able to picture being there. The book makes numerous references to water, and as you read them, you can feel the dampness he is describing. 

This book was quite an easy read, easy to get into, and difficult to put down. I read it over 3 days, mostly due to threats from my fiancĂ© that he wanted to rent the movie next week, but also because the plot was so good it just left you craving more. 

Several twists in the plot created just the right amount of suspense to keep you reading. I suspected at the beginning of the book that the main character, Teddy, could be a patient at the facility on the island, but the way that Lehane put it all together was quite genius. 

All in all, the book left quite a good taste in my mouth for Dennis Lehane's writing, and I'm very interested to read some of his other books. I can see how they could make a great movie out of this book, but worry that it may fall flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment